CANNON BALL, N.D. (AP) — The company building the Dakota Access oil pipeline said it plans to resume work immediately to finish the long-stalled project.
The Army on Wednesday granted the developer of the four-state oil pipeline formal permission to lay pipe under a Missouri River reservoir in North Dakota, clearing the way for completion of the $3.8 billion project.
“We plan to begin immediately,” Vicki Granado, a spokeswoman for developer Energy Transfer Partners, said in an email to The Associated Press Wednesday night.
Work had been stalled for months due to opposition by the Standing Rock Sioux, but President Donald Trump last month instructed the Army Corps of Engineers to advance pipeline construction.
Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Chairman Dave Archambault said in a statement Wednesday that the tribe is prepared to keep battling the pipeline “in the courts.”
“We will continue to fight against an administration that seeks to dismiss not only our treaty rights and status as sovereign nations, but the safe drinking water of millions of Americans,” the chairman said.
The Standing Rock Sioux fears a pipeline leak could contaminate its drinking water. ETP says the pipeline is safe.
Gov. Doug Burgum released a statement Wednesday,…